LAHSA is continuing to monitor the developments related to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
As of today, Public Health has identified 23,182 positive cases of COVID-19 across all areas of LA County, and a total of 1,111 deaths. 182 are among people experiencing homelessness.
Below is an update on LAHSA’s efforts:
- As of this morning we have 22 Hotel/Motel sites online totaling 1,666 beds.
- We are serving 1,508 people in these sites.
- In case you missed it, check out this interview with a hotel owner who is speaking about her experience with Project Roomkey in Los Angeles!
- We are seeking homeless service providers for Project Roomkey. Applicants must be certified as qualified bidders for receiving Los Angeles General Funds, County of Los Angeles General Funds, or Measure H Funds. Find out more on our website.
- Since the beginning of COVID-19, LAHSA outreach teams have distributed more than 4,000 meals to people experiencing unsheltered homelessness.
- LAHSA is working with a number of food distributors including SkyChef, who provides 320 meals every Saturday and Sunday for us to distribute to our unsheltered population, to ensure an ongoing supply of food.
- A special thanks to the California Community Foundation who recently approved a grant of $25,000 to LAHSA to continue this critical service!
Resources, Policies, Staffing, Supplies, and Support
- The Department of Public Social Services has extended the hours of its Customer Service Center (CSC) to serve customers better. DPSS customers can now reach the department by telephone (1-866-613-3777) Monday through Friday, from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., and on Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Department of Public Health (DPH) has released the COVID-19 Video-Assisted Telephonic TA (VAT TA) Project to support our SUD and Mental Health sites as well as our shelters and interim housing with executing DPH recommendations on isolation and social distancing protocols. The VAT TA focuses on optimizing isolation and quarantine protocols, social/physical distancing, infection control for common areas and bedrooms, and other COVID-19 related precautions. Many resources related to COVID-19 were born out of this TA Project to help facilitate the implementation of optimized COVID-19 practices:
- Guidance on Proper Grouping (Cohorting) of Residents
- Guidance on Social Distancing and Bed Positioning for Residential and Congregate Settings
- Isolation Tracking Log
- Quarantine Tracking Log
- On Monday, May 4, 2020, LAHSA, DPH, and DHS are co-hosting a webinar on COVID-19 Guidance for Los Angeles County Project Roomkey and Homeless Service Provider Staff. This training will provide guidance on COVID-19 transmission, symptoms, testing protocols, vulnerabilities and processes. The link to register can be found here. This training will also be recorded and posted on LAHSA’s website.
- LA County has released a resource guide for Pregnant women and single mothers who may be experiencing food insecurity and hardship during COVID-19.