The Empowerment Congress Central Area Neighborhood Development Council is focused on Bringing Back Neighborhood Pride, by targeting issues of safety, beautification, healthy living, and community involvement.
This year in Community Safety ECCANDC was integral to the planning, launch and ongoing outreach of the Community Safety Partnership (CSP) to reduce crime in the Harvard Park Community. The CSP is a local community led program to make the Harvard Park Community safer by building closer bonds with residents and the officers who serve them. This type of partnership has already been proven successful in other communities. Our CSP holds weekly Strategic Dialogue That’s Empowered by Public Safety (S.T.E.P.S.) events which invite community members to walk around the park with LAPD Officers, getting exercise while having a chance to talk and build relationships. There have also been health screenings and other fun activities. We continue to promote these activities as part of our Community Outreach.
The most significant Beautification to our community was the reopening of Chesterfield Square. ECCANDC provided input on the park design and celebrated with the community at the Ribbon Cutting in August. Complementing the new construction was a series of four alley clean ups organized by Area 1 Representative Robert Campbell. Community members came together and worked wonders on removing dumped furniture, trash, debris and weeds, filling up a huge dumpster and educating the participants in the use of the LA City 311 app.
We have greatly expanded our Outreach effort this year trying to reach the community through various approaches:
- Sponsored Veteran’s Memorial Day Celebration and lunch. Councilmember Marqueece Harris-Dawson presented Board Member James Hadley an award for his excellent work on this event.
- Sponsored the Great Backpack Giveaway, Meet & Greet to provide 100 backpacks with school supplies to needy students in our community just in time for Back to School. This event was a great opportunity to meet community members over a tasty taco lunch.
- Sponsored the Veterans Honorary Breakfast in November honoring those who served from WWII to Afghanistan. Board Member Robert Campbell received a commendation for his military service.
- Partnered with the American Heart Association and J.T. Harvard Park in providing turkeys to over 100 families in the ECCANDC community. This event hosted a live healthy cooking demonstration and the distribution of fresh locally grown vegetables as part of the healthy living component.
- Partnered with City Council President Herb Wesson in presenting bikes to underprivileged children in our community at Christmas.
- Partnered with the American Heart Association in providing Christmas gift bags to over 80 senior citizens in our community.
- Launched a new vibrant website making it easy for the community to find out about our meetings, events and accomplishments.
- Reached our stakeholders several times a month with informative emails inviting participation. Please encourage your friends to sign up for our email newsletter on our website
- Opened up an online dialogue with the launch of our Facebook page: facebook.com/EmpoweredCentralLA/ Please join our conversation to stay up to date on our community!
We are excited about Bringing Back Neighborhood Pride in 2018. Our Council is made up of a great group of friendly people, who work well together and have a passion for our community. We invite you to join us at a Board Meeting, Committee Meeting or event.